Sunday, November 25, 2018

Slow and Steady Progress

After spending four not-so-wonderful days in the hospital, Pat was released on Tuesday. This is a photo of the Champlain Valley Physicians' Hospital as we were leaving. He received excellent care while he was there.  We are so grateful for all that was done for him.
We had just crossed the border when I took this photo. We were back in our beloved Quebec!
We made it home with only one incident-some motorist entered the freeway as we were heading toward the Jacques Cartier Bridge; then he decided he needed to be in my lane, and moved--without checking to see if anyone was already there!  We were in a snowstorm, so the roads were slick.  As he moved into my lane, I checked to see if I was OK to move to my left--I was, mercifully, so I moved over only to go into a skid.  I thought for certain we were going to hit the middle guard.  I got out of that skid and headed back to the right--then I thought I'd hit the car that started this whole mess.  Thank heavens, we were again the recipients of tender mercies and did not hit either the offending car or the middle guard. So very grateful.

And this is the sign that greeted us when we arrived at our apartment.  Thanks, Sister Carlson!
Our new normal for the time being is for me to fix breakfast, get Pat situated so he can be in the apartment for a few hours on his own.  I went home Wednesday to fix him lunch and then returned to the office.  And here is what it looked like as I walked to work.  Winter has, indeed, arrived!


Pat's balance is still very rocky, so he cannot go to the office until a walker arrives. It is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday.  Then he will be able to go to work for a few hours.  He is ready to take up his responsibilities again.  While he is in the apartment, he fields questions as missionaries call him--so he really has been doing a lot of his work, just not at the office.  He has an appointment with his Montreal doctor on Tuesday.  I'm eager to hear what she has to say. I'm also eager for him to start physical therapy so that he can regain his balance.  His speech is much improved and the deficit is almost imperceptible. He is making slow, but steady progress.

On Thursday, Sister Evans started to decorate the office.  I helped by putting a few decorations on the tree! It looks quite lovely, I think!


We had planned to have a Thanksgiving dinner with the seniors on Saturday. However, Sister Phillips called and asked if we would like to have it at their home.  Because they are so busy, the only time they could do it was on Thanksgiving day. We had the office open until 1 and most of the archive missionaries worked for half the day before we all headed over to the Phillips. Pat cannot do the metro yet, so he rode with the Swensens and I took the metro with several others. What a wonderful time we had!  It was so nice to be in a real home, one that was exquisitely decorated for Christmas.  The food was so delicious and the company even better. And here are the fabulous Montreal Seniors, left to right: Sister and President Phillips, the Carlsons, Sisters Chatterton, Howe, Puzey, Hyde, the Evans, the Swensens, the Bowlers, Sister Petersen, Claire (a friend of Caleb Phillips, who was taken the picture),the McGees and the Andersons. The only Montreal seniors who were not there were the Randalls and they had family visiting them.


The Phillips have collected nativities from around the world.  It was delightful seeing them and hearing about their origins. Here are photos of some of their nativities:

From Mozambique
From Cambodia - notice the elephants





From Jerusalem

  
Before they left on their mission, the Phillips found star-shaped Christmas ornaments with names used for Christ on them.  Sister Phillips told about giving these ornaments to the current missionaries (whom they did not know) and being prompted to select specific names for specific missionaries and later learning the significance of that name to the missionary.  It was a beautiful testimony that Heavenly Father knows us and guides those who are called to preside.  Before we left, each couple or single sister chose one of those ornaments from the Phillips' tree.  We chose Redeemer because Christ is our Redeemer.  Because of him, we can have Eternal Life.  Because of his Atonement, we have the opportunity to return to His presence.

Saturday I was heading to the car to go to Walmart across the river when I saw the Carlsons.  They offered me a ride--I gladly accepted. I love being their neighbor.  They invited us to have shrimp po boy sandwiches for dinner.  They were so good.

After returning from Walmart, I cleaned the apartment--finally!  It had been several weeks since I cleaned it thoroughly.  It is nice to have it clean.  Several weeks ago, the mission purchased a carpet cleaner. I even used it and cleaned the rugs!  What a difference it made!

I was concerned about getting Pat to church today.  The Carlsons solved that problem:  we went to Greenfield Park with them.  Elders Drysdale and Berns met us at the sidewalk by the door and helped Pat into the chapel.  Pat loves the young missionaries so much and they love him!

We also got our Christmas tree up and decorated today.  We're set for the season!

Last year just after we arrived in Montreal, Sister Allred and her companion, Sister Perez, called and asked what we were doing for Thanksgiving.  When I told them that we had no plans, they asked if we'd like to do something with them--so we had Thanksgiving dinner on Thanksgiving with the two of them. Sister Perez returned home several months ago, but Sister Allred is still here (for another three weeks!) and is back on the island. We decided we'd have a repeat performance.  They were going to come on Thanksgiving but because we ended up going with the other seniors, we had them come this evening.  Sister Puzey made a wonderful green bean casserole and a pumpkin pie and French apple pie, the Carlsons cooked the meat, and I furnished, potatoes, yams, dressing, and cranberry sauce.  The sisters brought a salad and bread (the same things that they brought last year!).  We had a great meal and a wonderful time with them.
Front: Sisters Allred and Broadbent; Back: the Carlsons, Sister Puzey, and the McGees
The missionaries always teach us before they leave.  Tonight the sisters taught us about gratitude.  They asked us to share moments of gratitude-for the McGees, the events surrounding Pat's stroke and the many tender mercies surround it are reasons for profound gratitude.

We are so grateful to be missionaries, to be in Montreal, to be surrounded by such good people, and to be supported by our family and friends at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment