Sunday, November 4, 2018

How Can It Be November Already?


"There is sunshine in my soul today. . ."

Montreal has been cold, windy, and wet the last few days.  Today dawned bright and gloriously sunny.  Oh, what sunshine does for the soul!

The past week was Week 6 of the transfer cycle.  We spent the week gearing up for the arrival of another senior couple and getting ready for arrivals, transfers, and departures next week.  We did have time to celebrate three October birthdays. We enjoyed a pumpkin pie to honor Sister Chatterton whose birthday is on Canadian Thanksgiving (October 8), a gluten free yellow cake for Sister Howe (gluten-free products are certainly getting better), and a coconut cream pie for Elder Randall.  It's fun to get together!

On Thursday this gentleman came into the office and asked, "Does anyone know Elder Newman?" I said I did because he is in our district." Then I asked how he knew Elder Newman.  "I'm his dad," was his response! He was in Montreal on business - found out after the fact that his business involves the rebuilding of the Champlain Bridge.  He brought in a package for his son.  We took this picture so I could send it to Elder Newman. Elder Newman came into the office later and was excited that his father had been there--and, of course, that he had a package!  Missionaries, if you didn't already know it, live for mail and packages!
Later that day, three dear young missionaries were in, so we decided we'd get a picture of the three office sisters with them.  We certainly love these young missionaries.
Sisters Evans, Peterson, Puzey, Pinnock, McGee, and Louder
Friday I had to go to the Rosemont Metro Station.  I looked up the walking distance and figured it would take about 20 minutes to walk from the office to the station.  Wanting to get more steps in, I decided I'd walk.  Great plan, but my phone must have thought it was Lucy because it directed me to turn right instead of left when I arrived at the intersection of Rosemont and St. Hubert.  I walked and walked and walked thinking I'd see the metro sign at any moment.  Finally I decided I'd look up the address: 400 Rosemont.  I was at 1300 Rosemont. So I did an about face and marched back.  I got in plenty of steps--more than I had anticipated.  But, I saw this gorgeous group of trees.  So, the morning was good for both my physical and emotional self!
On Friday, the Greenfield Park district that we are assigned to had their final district council before transfers.  Three of this group will be moving on.  Usually Pat attends district council, but he didn't on that day because he was sick. He headed home early on Thursday.  He was still down on Friday - and Saturday - and Sunday!
Friday afternoon the last senior couple arrived.  Saturday I helped them get metro cards, the Internet, and a few groceries.  When we left, it was raining but not very hard.  While we were at Bérri UQAM, it started to pour! Unfortunately, the credit card they attempted to use to purchase their monthly metro pass wouldn't work.  So, instead of riding the metro back to the apartment complex, we trudged up the hill in a downpour!  I had an umbrella, so only my pants legs were wet.  The Swensen's weren't so lucky--they were soaked! Later, Sister Swensen and I went to the Sherbrooke station and were able to load their cards--don't know why it didn't work at Bérri-UQAM!

I have found that it is so much easier to cross the river to the south shore to go to Costco and Walmart. I made a Costco run on Wednesday to prepare for the Mission Leadership Council on Thursday. I also was able to purchase some of the items we need for zone conferences in two weeks.  All of the missionaries in the Montreal area will have their zone conference together so we will be feeding over 120 people at the same time. Saturday I crossed the mighty St. Lawrence again and went to Walmart.  Because he was still sick, Pat didn't come with me--so I just took my time and wandered around.  Who would have thought I'd have such a good time in a Walmart?

As I walked through Angrignon Park this morning, I was greeted by this sight--a carpet of leaves so thick that it obscured the path! I love the beauty of Quebec!

We finished the day by having a welcome dinner for the three couples who've arrived here in Montreal.  We had taco soup, salads, and cake for dessert.  Poor Pat had his soup by himself because he was still too sick to go anywhere.

That sums up our week in Montreal.  As we head into November and the Thanksgiving season, I can't help but be so grateful for all the blessings I have. Certainly among the best is to have been blessed with our incredible family. Right up there is being surrounded by wonderful friends. Enjoy November!

No comments:

Post a Comment