I have said this often—time rushes relentlessly! Here we are at the end of another transfer
cycle. It seems that we just finished
the previous one yesterday! In reality, that was six weeks ago.
This was the week that we make certain we’re ready for the
new missionaries who will arrive on Wednesday, the transfer that takes place on
Thursday, and the departure of the missionaries leaving on Friday. We check and double check and then find we’ve
missed something and then get whatever it is done!
While we were busy, as usual, it was a rather calm
week. Friday, Sister Puzey and I were
the only ones in the office! For much of the day it was very quiet! The Evans
were doing apartment inspections and other out-of-the office tasks. Pat came into the office briefly before
Sister Puzey and I arrived to take care of paperwork necessary for a car that
was involved in an accident. I met him at the top of the metro stairs as he was
heading home and I was heading into the office! He is having horrible issues
with his allergies this year. He went to
the doctor on Thursday and was given a couple of prescriptions and told to stay
down for a couple of days to see if he can get them under control. The President was doing interviews, so we saw
several missionaries.
Yesterday nine of us headed to Ottawa to go to the tulip
festival. During WWII, the future queen
of the Netherlands Juliana took refuge in Canada. One of her children Margariet
was actually born in an Ottawa hospital. The Canadian government declared the
room in the hospital where she was born extraterritorial so that she could derive her citizenship solely from her
mother. Canada was also heavily involved in the liberation of Holland at the
end of the war. To show their
appreciation for what Canada had done for them and their country, Juliana’s
mother, Queen Wilhelmina, sent 100,000 tulip bulbs to Ottawa. Holland continued
sending bulbs annually since that time. Most of the tulips are around Dow’s
Lake. We went early in the morning and missed the crowds. The tulips are in Commissioner’s Park. Unlike
the tulip festival at Thanksgiving Point, there is no charge to stroll through
the park. They were simply gorgeous!
![]() |
| Gordons, Sisters Hyde, McGee, Iverson, Howe, Puzey, the Evans, and the Carlsons |
![]() |
| The white tulip with the red stripe is the 150 Canadian to commemorate Canada's 150th anniversary. |
Commissioner's Park and Dow's Lake - the site of the tulip festival
![]() |
| Marina at Dow's Lake |
We also saw the Rideau River from the bridge in Hog's Back Park.
During the afternoon we took a bus tour around the city—when we boarded it, most of us were on the top deck of an open double-decker bus. We got soaked! We were going to go through the history museum, but it was so crowded we decided we didn’t have the time we necessary. Several of us went to the Royal Canadian Mounted Police stables instead. The only thing I knew about the RCMP is what I’ve seen in TV programs on read in books. One of the earliest of these was Sargent Preston of the Yukon who helped maintain law and order in snowy Canada. There is a 32-member unit that does precision riding to music. The stables house the horses used for this special show. It was a great tour!
![]() |
| The performing horses involved in the Musical Ride |
Today we had two sisters from our ward came to dinner. We joined forces with Sister Puzey and managed to pull together a wonderful mean. She made chicken cordon bleu and I did the potatoes, vegetables, and dessert. I was going to make a tropical pecan pie but discovered late last night that I didn’t have the right kind of pineapple, so I decided on a dessert from my childhood: cottage pudding. Cottage pudding consists of a plain yellow cake with a vanilla sauce that we used to call dip. I remember making the dip with my mom but haven’t done it for probably 35-40 years. I remembered the ingredients but didn’t have a clue on the proportions, so I consulted Dr. Google—found something that I was able to use. It was delicious and such a sweet memory of long ago.
![]() |
| With Sisters Puzey, Ashcraft, and Steno |
While we were doing the dishes, Marianne initiated a video
call—we spent about 40 minutes with her and those precious children. She was on her cell phone and they were
roaming the neighborhood—so we had a bonus of seeing places we love as well as
people we love. Can’t ask for anything
better!
We continue to enjoy our mission experiences. Every day we
are so grateful that we chose to put our papers in. Every day we’re so grateful
we were called to Montreal.



































No comments:
Post a Comment