Sunday, May 6, 2018

And Another Week Flies By–and What a Week It Was!

There are weeks and then there are WEEKS!  This was one of the latter.

I have been working all week on trying to translate a document into French that I can include in the new missionary packet.  I needed to take screen shots of Facebook so the missionaries would have good visual prompts to help them get their Facebook accounts set up.  I changed the language on my Facebook account to French and went at it.  Before each step, I would do the same procedure on my Facebook account—so I spent a week constantly changing things around. Still have more work to do on it.  To say that it is tricky to do that with a thousand interruptions is an understatement!

Last week I was lamenting that we would never have spring.  Well, we actually had two spring-like days! Nothing like warmth and sunshine to make your soul sing! Wednesday morning and afternoon were glorious! When I left to go to the Temple, it was raining and continued to rain throughout the evening. Then Thursday hit—we left the apartment early and headed to our first apartment inspection. There were a few drops of light ran falling—nothing to worry about.  We did the inspection and walked back to the metro station. Again, a few drops, nothing too serious. By the time we exited the metro the next time, it was coming down pretty hard. As we walked to the apartment, the rain got heavier and heavier.  Silly me, I left my umbrella at home. Pat had his, so we were trying to use it to cover us both—didn’t work.  My whole right side was soaked.  I saw a drug store and made a quick purchase of another umbrella, now I have three! Made for a much nicer experience although I had wet feet for the rest of the afternoon!

Once back at the office things started popping. Two sisters were involved in an accident resulting in their car needing towing leaving them basically stranded. To cut a long story short, I ended up going with a team of missionaries to pick up the sisters and get them back to the mission office.  Unfortunately, both of them experienced whiplash and are pretty sore. We invited the Evans and Sister Puzey to our apartment for dinner that evening so we could try out the recipe we’re going to use for the next round of zone conference lunches. Sister Puzey was dealing with the medical issues resulting from the accident.  Mind you, dealing with the medical system in Quebec is challenging.  She got it sorted out and gave the information to those who needed it! Meanwhile, Sister Evans and I sorted out the proportions that we will use.  Glad that is done.  All five of us were happy that Thursday finally wound down!
Elder Turcotte, the Adamson's grandson, was in the office this week!

We discover new things all the time.  As we walked out of work on Friday, this is what we discovered: A door on a roof! How strange is that?



The second marvelous spring day was Saturday!  It was simply glorious.  It was warm and sunny all day long! We walked about getting information that Pat will use as he leads the churches tour for the seniors next month and saw some interesting sites. Then we stopped at a restaurant featuring Vietnamese, Chinese, and Thai food.  We both had spring rolls and pad Thai.  It was so good!  Hopefully that is the portent of better weather.
 
Monument to Canadian Olympic Games
Monument to the Canadian Olympic Games
Delicious spring roll!
Pad Thai—reminds me of the Thai Orchid, one of our favorite restaurants back home.

Statue of St. Andre, one of the builders of St. Joseph's Oratory
One of the churches that Pat will include on the church tour is St. Patrick's. Here are some shots of that lovely, lovely church.

St. Patrick's Basilica. Tis was the first church where English was spoken in the worship service. It was built by the Irish.

Statue of St. Patrick on St. Patrick's

A pew

The baptistery

Altar

Chandelier that weights 1200 pounds!

Pulpit

Organ loft

Plaque in St. Patrick's. This is Pat's great-great uncle, one of the founders of the Canadian Federation who was assassinated as he went into his apartment.

Interior

Cross set in a shamrock design on the floor.

Stained glass at the rear doors—notice the shamrocks and all the green!
 This evening we had a welcome dinner for Sister Howe, a single sister who is going to work in the archives as a record preservation specialist.  She comes from Pennsylvania. We all contribute and end up with a marvelous meal. Our contribution was sticky toffee pudding made from a recipe that a recently returned senior missionary gave us.  It was delicious! As usual, the highlight of our Sunday is FaceTiming with our family.  I am so grateful for the technology that allows us to do that.
Made a sticky toffee pudding using Sister Tamtom's recipe!





We love what we are doing.  We love being in beautiful Montreal. We love the Lord and his Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment