Week 3 of the transfer cycle; what a busy week it was!
We check the weather report quite frequently so that we can be prepared for what is coming. Sister Puzey and I had our five apartment inspections scheduled for this week. And . . . a big storm was forecast. We knew we would be walking in ice and snow, so we needed to be prepared. I have a pair of Yaktrax traction devices that I use with my boots, but Sister Puzey had nothing. Monday I needed to get gas, so before heading to the office, I drove to the Esso station, pumped $55.55 worth of gas (in tribute to Elder Desvergez who always put that amount of gas into his car whenever he had to refuel) and had the car washed as well. My goodness, you could actually tell that the car is blue!
I also had a chance to see Angrignon Park in its wintery splendor:
Then Pat and Sister Puzey and I hopped in the car. And this is what greeted us:
This truck was inching down Bérri with clearing the cars parked on both sides of the road by mere centimeters! We drove to the Uniprix at the corner of St. Denis and Laurier so we could visit the mini post office inside. We needed to send some papers back home and wanted the package registered. I dropped Pat off at the corner, and he took care of that little chore while Sister Puzey and I drove around the block (Montreal style--you never just drive around the block like at home. Eventually we found streets that were going in the direction we needed so we ended back where we started.) Then we dropped Pat off at the Mount Royal Metro Station and headed to Canadian Tire hoping to find some kind of traction devices. No luck there; so we went to Walmart. I asked one of the sales people if they had traction devices. She responded that they did--in the pharmacy. And that's where we found them! Sister Puzey purchased a pair, and then we went to the apartment so that I could park the car, before I headed to the office on the metro. Mission accomplished!
Tuesday I had a chiropractor appointment and didn't relish the walk from the metro to the office because the wind was blowing fiercely and the temperatures were nippy. So, I took the bus! Good choice--the stop was just a few feet from the office door.
Wednesday the storm hit with a vengeance! There was a car stuck across the street from our apartment. It took the driver and helpers about two hours to dig it out:
We had made an appointment to meet the LaSalle sisters at Angrignon Station where they pick us up, drive us to their apartment for the inspection, and then drive us back to the station. Didn't work out as we had planned. We waited for about an hour while they dug themselves out! This little fellow entertained us while we waited.
When we arrived at the sisters' apartment, it was easy to understand why they were late in picking us up. These are cars parked in front of their apartment--where theirs had also been parked:
Once we were back in the office, we watched the snow fall. I opted not to go to the temple because I didn't want to have to deal with weather-related issues.
Thursday, Sister Puzey and I took the Orange Line up to Crémazie Station. Once we were there, we put the traction devices on our boots and ventured out! Oh, my! Snow, snow snow. Schools were closed, government offices were closed, but Sisters Puzey and McGee were doing apartment inspections.
Some places had been shoveled, some had not. Can you see the sidewalk? We couldn't either, but we waded through the snow!
We saw a couple of gentlemen shoveling. I initiated a conversation with this man by saying, "Always work, right?" He smiled and agreed and then said there was an extra shovel for me! I picked it up and moved a couple of shovelfuls before moving on. (You can see the shovel sticking up in the snow.) When we were walking back to the station, he had finished the sidewalk and was working on digging his car out. Always work!
More cars along the way waiting to be dug out.
In many of the metro stations, we are entertained by musicians. This gentleman was creating beautiful music on his Chinese violin.
The last apartment we inspected on Thursday was the one that requires the longest walk. We discovered that crossing the streets was interesting--snow was piled in the middle leaving no room for pedestrians to cross. That meant we had to walk into the road to go around the snow. We were honked at a couple of times--I don't know where they wanted us to go.
Here is my little friend covered in snow. He's almost invisible!
On our way to this particular apartment, we pass a Dagwood sandwich shop. Usually the store is not open when we are in the area. Thursday, it was open! Score. We brought sandwiches back for the office missionaries. Delish!
Another treat was in store for me! Montreal's method of snow removal is fascinating--and they were doing it along Bérri, literally outside our side door! So, I watched the process. I took a video, but I can't get it to work here, darn! But here's the next best thing: a series of pictures.
Here's the street before they started:
One of the big trucks moving in to catch the snow as it is picked up from the street:
Another truck ready to go:
And now the actual giant snowblower in action:
The action as it heads farther down the street:
The trucks move along with the snowblower, adjusting their position so the snow falls into them and completely fills them. The trucks have a higher side opposite where the snow is blown. When the truck is full, it pulls ahead and goes to a snow dump while another truck moves into position. Sometimes the next truck isn't there, so the process stops until the truck arrives.
Meanwhile in the church parking lot, here is Elder Wilson, one of the assistants, trying to unbury the truck they need to take to Ottawa:
And this is what the street looked like on Friday morning:
Thursday after work, I met Pat at the Bérri UQAM station so we could walk to Restaurant Denos to celebrate Valentine's Day. We had a wonderful meal. The owner of the restaurant knows who we are and always makes us feel so welcomed. And we watched the snow removal taking place on René Lévesque! Bonus!
As we were walking through the station to get to the metro, we saw this Tiffany-like lamp. It reminded us of our precious little Sarah who is a cat lover:
And see what was on the table when we arrived home. Thank you Pat!
Just after I had climbed into bed, I heard a commotion outside the bedroom window. When I peeked outside, I saw more snow removal! Red letter day for me:
Friday morning Sister Puzey and I headed out early to complete our apartment inspections. While some of the roads had been cleared of the snow, not all of them were, so we were happy to have our traction devices.
One of the most interesting phenomenon in Montreal is the metro. It was packed today. As we looked across the track, we saw many people waiting to get on:
The train stops for only about 10-15 seconds. When the doors close and the train moves on, the platform is empty! Amazing! Simply amazing!
Saturday I had an experience I never expected: I went ice fishing with several senior missionaries and members of the Mandarin branch. I had a great time--didn't catch any fish--really didn't care too. Because my car is equipped with snow tires and has all-wheel drive, I drove. Sisters Puzey, Chatterton, and Howe went with me. We drove to Sainte-Anne-De-Pérade, about a two-hour drive northeast of Montreal. The weather was delightful: the sun was shining, it was clear; and the skies were blue! Prior to arriving at the ice fishing location, we took a little dipsy-doodle and wandered off in the opposite direction. Did we see snow! Here is a pile of it on the edge of a grocery store parking lot:
We drove down a couple of streets trying to get where we needed to be. Snow everywhere!
Ice fishing in this location takes place on the Saint Anne River. There are several companies that have cabins on the lake:
It's mind boggling realizing that all of this was taking place on frozen water! In addition to the cabins, there were play areas for kids:
. . . and areas for ice hockey.. . . and snowmobiles:
Our cabin was #9:
Inside the cabin we were warm and cozy (and visiting and playing Five Crowns) . . .
. . . because of this wood-buring stove:The Swensens fishing:
Sisters Puzey, Chatterton, and Howe with the Swensens.
Same group with Sister Puzey taking the photo and I'm in it.Yes, I baited the line--once!
For lunch we joined the Mandarins for a hot pot. So good!
Sunday Sister Carlson, Sister Puzey and I teamed up to prepare dinner for the LaSalle Elders: Sister Puzey, the Carlsons, Elder Bunting, Elder Sorensen, and us.
And finally, here is a beautiful picture of a sunset over Ville Marie Chapel shared by Sister Chatterton.


















































No comments:
Post a Comment